“Malala [Yousafzai] is a daughter of the United Nations,” declared UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, noting the 18-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner’s engagement with the UN to make sure children worldwide can go to school, including the millions of girls who are denied this right.
The UN works to promote education for all children and to empower girls around the world – and each of us can play a role in supporting its important work. Here are nine quotes from Malala that inspire us to continue our work with the UN.
1. “One child, one teacher, one pen, and one book can change the world.”
2. “Some people only ask others to do something. I believe that, why should I wait for someone else? Why don’t I take a step and move forward?”
3. “I truly believe the only way we can create global peace is through not only educating our minds, but our hearts and our souls.”
4. “Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow’s reality.”
5. “So let us wage a global struggle against illiteracy, poverty, and terrorism, and let us pick up our books and pens. They are our most powerful weapons.”
6. “If we want to achieve our goal, then let us empower ourselves with the weapon of knowledge and let us shield ourselves with unity and togetherness.”
7. “If people were silent, nothing would change.”
8. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.”
9. “We want schools and education for every child’s bright future. We will continue our journey to our destination of peace and education for everyone.”